Stamina is important for everyone, from athletes to factory workers and homemakers to office goers. It means the strength and energy required to get through one’s daily activities without experiencing fatigue and exhaustion. It may also refer to the ability to sustain prolonged mental effort needed to lead a stress-free life.
Low stamina and dwindling energy can be due to several lifestyle factors. Such factors include a sedentary lifestyle, excess intake of caffeine and alcoholic beverages, use of narcotics, excessive physical activity, poor sleep, too much stress, dehydration and unhealthy eating habits.
Health problems, such as the common cold, allergies, underactive or overactive thyroid, obesity, diabetes, even cancer can also cause low stamina and energy level. Pregnancy can zap one’s energy, too.
Being tired and having lack of stamina and energy after some kind of physical exhaustion is healthy. However, if you lack stamina most of the time, then it is a matter of concern and should be diagnosed properly.
If you are feeling worn out, you can find renewed vigor and energy with a few simple lifestyle changes and home remedies.
1. Blackstrap Molasses
This byproduct of the sugar cane’s refining process, blackstrap molasses is a useful remedy to boost your stamina. It contains high levels of iron, manganese, potassium and copper that keeps your endurance level high.
- Add 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to a glass of warm water or milk.
- Drink this mixture once or twice daily to boost stamina.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil is also beneficial for increasing your energy and stamina. It contains healthy fats, especially MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides) that are digested easily and used as a form of direct energy.
Plus, coconut oil is heart-healthy and helps boost your immunity and overall health. When taken in moderation, it also helps reduce abdominal fat.
Eat 1 to 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil daily. You can add it to your smoothies or your morning coffee. You can also use it in your baked goods.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another good remedy to beat exhaustion. It helps alkalize the body to help you remain energetic. In addition, this health tonic is full of electrolytes, thus giving a boost to your stamina.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a little honey in a glass of water.
- Drink it twice daily.
This bright yellow spice contains a compound called curcumin, which features many health benefits. Its powerful anti-inflammatory property helps diminish physical exhaustion to restore your energy level.
It also reduces recovery time and increases peak performance and endurance. It even enhances muscle repair after exertion.
- Drink a glass of turmeric milk daily. To make this healthy beverage, add ½ to 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of boiling milk. Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Then, turn off the heat, pour it into a glass and sweeten with a little honey.
- Add turmeric juice to freshly extracted fruit or vegetable juice to make it healthier.
- You can opt to take turmeric supplements after consulting your doctor.
5. Green Tea
A cup of refreshing green tea can also increase your stamina and energy level. The polyphenols in it help fight fatigue, reduce stress and promote better sleep.
According to a 2005 study published in the American Physiology Society journal, regular intake of green tea extract boosts the endurance of exercise performance by up to 24 percent.
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water. Cover and steep for 5 minutes. Strain, sweeten with honey and drink this tea 2 or 3 times daily.
- You can also take green tea supplements, but only after consulting a doctor.